- regional integration in Central Europe
- Eastern and Southeast Asia
- international economics
- development economics
- international trade
- CASE Fellow,
- Professor of Economics at the University of Adelaide, since 1992.
- Professor of Economics, SAIS, Washington DC (1989-1991),
- Professor of Economics, JHU Nanjing Project, China (1988-1989),
- Associate Professor of Economics JHU Bologna Centre (1979-1988).
- Lecture Notes on International Trade Theory and Policy (World Scientific Publishing Company, Singapore, 2008).
- The Central Asian Economies since Independence (Princeton University Press, Princeton NJ, 2006).
- (with K.H. Anderson): Consequences of Creating a Market Economy: Evidence from Household Surveys in Central Asia (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham UK, 2003).
- Constructing a Market Economy: Diverse Paths from Central Planning in Asia and Europe (Edward Elgar, Cheltenham UK, 2002).
- Central Asia Turns South? Trade Relations in Transition (The Royal Institute of International Affairs, London, and The Brookings Institution, Washington DC, 1999).
- "The Financial Sector and the Future of Capitalism", Economic Systems 34(1), March 2010, 22-37.
- "Regionalism in the Asia-Pacific Region: How Wide, How Deep?" Journal of the Korean Economy 10(3), December 2009, 1-22.
- (with John K. Wilson) "Government Subsidies for Professional Team Sports in Australia", Australian Economic Review 42(3), September 2009, 264-75.
- "The Post-2007 Financial Crisis and Policy Challenges facing Australia", Economic Papers 28(3), September 2009, 254-62.
- "Using Energy Resources to Diversify the Economy: Agricultural Price Distortions in Kazakhstan", Comparative Economic Studies 51(2), June 2009, 181-212.
- (with Patricia Sourdin) "Have Asian Trade Agreements reduced Trade Costs?" Journal of Asian Economics 20(3), May 2009, 255-68.
- "Regional Integration in Central Asia", Economic Change and Restructuring 42(1-2), May 2009, 47-68.