01 Feb 2010 - 01 Apr 2010
Investment in support of energy savings and efficiency and in environment friendly energy resources and technologies in Ukraine: Government policies and business practices
The study outlines the following aspects:
- The energy profile of Ukraine: energy production/consumption (breakdown by main energy resources, including renewable energy resources/technologies; energy imports/exports); energy intensity - global and by main sectors (international comparison with Central and Eastern European countries, EU).
- The regulatory and legal framework of Ukraine's energy sector: energy prices/tariffs (levels, main regulations); market structure of the energy sector (part of state ownership, privatisation process, foreign direct investment in the energy sector); specific legislation concerning the energy sector (e.g. natural monopolies, control of foreign investors' access to strategic energy sectors).
- The government's energy strategy: (quantitative) objectives and policies to increase energy efficiency and production/consumption of renewable energy resources (solar, wind, biomass); the envisaged role for public and private, including foreign investment; available investment incentives (such as subsidies or special investment funds).
- The government's approaches to encouraging environmentally responsible business conduct: policies/measures to incite enterprises operating in Ukraine and abroad to adopt environmental responsibility and improve their environmental performance.
- Business practices: concrete examples of business investment initiatives to improve energy efficiency, develop renewable energy resources and reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- The main challenges to increasing (public, private, including foreign) investment in support of energy savings and efficiency and renewable energy resources: the role of the governmental policies and responsibilities of the private sector; international cooperation (examples of successful projects/initiatives).
The Ukraine - Investment Policy Review - OECD has been published July 26th, 2011, and is now available on OECD website.