Chairman of the CASE Advisory Council
- Russia and Eurasia
- Eastern Europe
- international economics
- economies in transition
- international financial institutions
- trade policy
- economic/market reform
- Senior Fellow at the Atlantic Council
- Adjunct professor at Georgetown University.
- Member of the Russian Academy of Natural Sciences
- Honorary professor of the Kyrgyz National University.
- Co-chairman of the Economics Education and Research Consortium
- Director of the Russian and Eurasian Program (2003 - 2005) at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, where he was Senior Associate from 1994 - 2005
- Co-director of the Carnegie Moscow Center's project on Economies of the Post-Soviet States
- Director of Stockholm Institute of East European Economics (1989 - 1994)
- Professor at Stockholm School of Economics (1989 - 1994)
- Conducted research at the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies and Brookings Institution
- Served as an economic advisor to the government of Russia, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan
- Served as Swedish diplomat in Kuwait, Poland, Switzerland, and Russia
- Widely published in Foreign Affairs and Foreign Policy and in the New York Times, Washington Post, Financial Times, and Wall Street Journal.
Publications (author or co-author):
Russia after the Global Economic Crisis (2010)
The Russia Balance Sheet (2009)
How Ukraine Became a Market Economy and Democracy (2009)
Challenges of Globalization: Macroeconomic Imbalances and Development Models (2008)
Europe after Enlargement (2007)
Revolution in Orange (2006).
Russia's Capitalist Revolution: Why Market Reform Succeeded and Democracy Failed (2007)
How Capitalism Was Built: The Transformation of Central and Eastern Europe, Russia, and Central Asia (2007)
Building Capitalism: The Transformation of the Former Soviet Bloc (2001)
How Russia Became a Market Economy (1995)
Gorbachev's Struggle for Economic Reform, 2d ed. (1991)
Private Enterprise in Eastern Europe (1985).